Skip to main content

Vanity my favorite Sin




It was 3.30 in the afternoon; I sat anxiously in the waiting area of my dentist’s clinic, restlessly tapping my toes, I impatiently checked my phone for the tenth time in past 15 minutes, hoping it would distract me from the fear that I feel inside my heart. Finally a voice from behind the reception called out my name and asked me to move towards the procedure room.

Spotting the discomfort on my face my cordial doctor announced “it’s a simple procedure, you will not feel any pain I promise” were his comforting words, as he wore his gloves and grabbed the anesthesia. I convinced myself that it’s a simple extraction and it will be over in no time, the images of many effective painkillers filled my mind. Taking a deep breath I sat on the chair fingers crossed, I was given anesthesia and three of my teeth were extracted as I have a severe periodontal condition leading to bone and gum loss (we will not go in the details of how or why it happened or whose fault was it). Surprisingly the extraction was even smoother then I had imagined with no pain or discomfort, little did I know that the pain later would not be from the procedure but of something else that I had not thought through or imagined.

Many of you by now must be thinking why is getting an elective procedure such a big deal, and you are right it is not. I went home with the feeling of numbness in my mouth and a small prosthetic denture in my hand. The bitterness hit me once the effect of anesthesia was over and I decided to have a look in the mirror, sadly these were my front teeth so a denture had to be worn sooner than later, implant is another long procedure which cannot happen instantly and that too with my kind of bone condition. I stood in front of the mirror shocked to my core, not realizing the intensity of the damage until it actually happened. The mirror showed me an image of myself but a lesser self, the missing teeth were making me look old, I could not pronounce my words correctly and chewing or eating was another ball game altogether. Uncontrollable tears tricked down my eye, 10 minutes later I found myself howling on the bathroom floor thinking my life has ended, I look ugly and why did it happened to me. I wished if it had to happen, it should have happened to some of my less visible teeth, self blame started to kick in; will I ever be able to smile again and the sobbing continued.

What is it that I am upset about I asked myself an hour later, the fact that I temporarily look ugly, or the fact that this loss of teeth is giving me a pale refection of old age, which is inevitable its bound to happen someday. However, it was none of the above; it was only “Vanity” and nothing else.

Vanity has been my favorite Sin all along; it is that feeling where I took pride in my beauty and took my blessings for granted up until I lost a blessing to realize how important it was. All mankind is excessively blessed by the Almighty, there is no soul on this earth that does not taste the sweetness of HIS blessings, yet there are few soul’s who show gratitude towards HIM.

To be able to breath, swallow, chew, see, hear, taste , feel and the list go on are things we never realize are a blessing, we callously take them for granted, at least I did thinking it’s my birth right to have everything and more. Even after looking in the mirror for the 15th time I was not actually grateful that I had the rest of my body intact but the worries that encircled my mind were that of facing people. How I would face the world, what will so and so say, were among the many thought I had when I was putting on an uncomfortable denture for the 8th time. 

Something was deeply missing, the perfection and balance of what Allah has created, the perfection and detail that HE took to create it, surly no man and no scientific lab can match that.
I then realized that there are many blessings of Allah that surround me, some I see with my eyes some hidden and beyond the capacity of my small existence, yet I feel pride in owning everything, and now I have the audacity to complain to the Creator  as to  why did it happen to me. What I don’t realize is that the same Creator has blessed me with the means to get it fixed, what if HE had taken both - the blessing and the means, what would  have I done then?????????

This is how Rahman our Creator is he gives us smaller tests in life and provides us with bigger means to get help, so we can be grateful.
So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny? (55:13)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An infidel woman: The scandalous “pink nighty” in ‘Meray paas tum ho’.

Two days back I woke up to see social media upset and demanding PEMRA to ban a play called “M erey paas tum ho ”. The lead actress was trolled for choosing the worst role of her life and much up-roar was made about a “ scandalous pink nighty ” in one of the episodes. Since I had not watched the play I rushed to YouTube to see what the hangaama was about. To my surprise the play had a typical storyline of a middle class government employee Danish (Humanyon Saeed)   with a pretty wife Mehwish (played by Aieza Khan) and a kid, struggling to make ends meet because he is naïve and honest. His wife on the other hand dreams of a better lifestyle with luxuries. A lovable family sets the picture perfect scene of the first episode, till the entry of a rich business man Shahwar played by none other than Adnan Siddiuqi. Shahwar spots Mehwish among common friends and finds her attractive and starts giving her compliments on her beauty, the over possessive husband finds the sitaution

Finally a happy ending for Pyare Afzal

For the past few days the social media is buzzing with the wedding news of Hamza Ali Abbasi of fame Pyare Afzal. Hamza started his career with TV and after doing a few projects moved to the big screen, he is not only famous for the work he did on screen but his claim to fame is from his extremely vocal socio-political and religious views especially on social media, he is seldom politically correct and gets a lot of bashing for his opinions. This week he was again in the news for posts about his wedding announcement to Naimal Khawaar. His long post about “Platonic Relationships” has been the topic  of the grape wine. His definition of Halal relationship was a bit bizarre and was so not needed in the wedding announcement.   Many bashed him for being self righteous or holier than thou. Some called it a publicity stunt, which often the people in the media are accused off.     On August 25 th  2019, the social media was again highlighting his beautiful wedding ceremony; the s

‘The spirit of a WOMAN’

On Sunday, my OCD kicked in and I decided to clean the house. To make cleaning a bit interesting I selected some old classics of Nayyara Noor. I played my favorite song Kabhi Hum bhie khoobsurat theye … … and held on to the magic mop with dear life. Nayyara’s with her soul searching voice sang the beautiful lyrics written by Ahmed Shamim, I could not help ponder upon the simplicity of emotions and the deep sadness  embedded    in the lyrics of this song. I have listen to it a 100 times before, but somehow with age, the meaning of many things have changed so drastically that even I am surprised myself. The song talks about the beauty of emotions more than the physicality of the beauty itself, it emphasizes on the spirit and the joy found in that jubilant spirit. Somehow beauty and age is such an important thing for women, I am not sure if it is a big issue for men also, as their age or beauty is never discussed. But for women it’s a stark reality, we often have t