Skip to main content

The Divorce Dialogues






So what’s the big deal about Divorce that makes it such an enigmatic human experience? simply put divorce is the ending of a very sacred relationship and it is at the very least a sad and at worst a traumatic affair. Then why is that the society generally tends to console the affected parties; with almost no empathy. A virtual lack of understanding, tendency to judge and attach stigmas leaves the one who has gone through the breakup isolated in most cases. Perhaps most people can relate easily to life setbacks such as death and disease even without actually experiencing them. They do have a general feel and idea of what one is suffering through. Divorce, however, remains a strange and alien territory. As a result many a times, even with best of intentions at heart, the way we support a person recently exposed to this trial ends up becoming a trial in itself for the poor soul. Sounds too far fetched and over sensitive? Let’s take a look at some of the Divorce dialogues around us….

The feminist friend
“Hey Hania honey how are you? Just heard the news from Rukhsana Aunty!”
“Hey Sara so good to see you….yeahI’m just about ok…surviving!”
“Yes, I just rushed over the moment I heard. So finally it’s over; the divorce papers have been signed”.
“Well yes….I guess its over…finally”
“Cheer up buddy why the long face? You should be happy good riddance.”
“Hmmm somehow I don’t really feel that happy…honestly”
“Why why?….listen Kashif was a loser of the highest order. Plus you weren’t even happy with him were you? Tell me were you? You were always crying over the phone complaining about him and his family…”
“Yes Sara there were many issues hence this final tragedy but I still fell low…very low “
“Hania get a grip why are you even feeling an iota of low? Number one you both were separated for the last six months. Number two he was not a good husband and had serious anger management issues amongst others”
“Yes I remember very well thank you for your reminder”.
“Hey you sound almost cross did I say something wrong? Are you upset with me?”
“Sara I am not upset with you….I just ended my marriage of four years and its really not that easy”
“Strange! If you felt so strongly you should have just put up with his anger problems and his very nosy mother. Clearly you couldn’t bear either so now you should be happy you are free. Not just happy I think you need to celebrate. Come on let’s go and celebrate…how about some sushi……”
“ No I don’t think I want to go out for Sushi tonight. I need to mourn and heal”
“MOURN….HEAL…..what? I am totally lost. I think you are being ungrateful. You are alive and healthy not to mention well to do with a job in a multinational bank. You can’t let this tiny thing affect you so much”
“It’s not a tiny thing my friend. It’s a huge setback in my life. I feel like a failure, I built a relationship, nurtured it with the best of efforts and intentions but it didn’t work out. It’s a feeling of complete loss….”
“I am shocked how can you doubt yourself because of a man. You should have more pride and self respect than that. No man is worth any tears.”
“IT’S NOT ABOUT THE MAN ITS ABOUT ME”


The Supposedly well meaning Aunt
“AssalamoAlaikum Aunty how are you? How’s your knee now post the surgery?”
“Beta leave everything, my knee is not important. First tell me is this divorce news true?”
“Jee Aunty its true. Kashif and I have signed the papers.”
“Oho very bad. But what happened? Why divorce?”
“Huh….well we had issues for some time and finally it ended”
“What type of issues? Was he beating you?”
“No”
“Other Women, chakkar shakkar?“
“No, no”
“Any addiction…drinking…drugs ?”
“NO!”
“THEN WHY?”

“Sigh… Aunty we  were just different in a lot of ways. Plus I couldn’t put up with his temperament. Extreme anger management issue. He also had a problem with my job and independent streak. And many other small things that added up.”
“Hain. What reasons are these? Beta you should have made more effort. This job of yours is the main culprit. Men like their wives to be at home . Cook for them take care of them”
“Aunty really that wasn’t the case I did cook very regularly as You know I love cooking….”
“Beta, women only have to keep the marriage together. You have to make yourself so important in the man”s life that hecannot operate without you. Look at me till date I make your Uncle’s chapatti and tea with my own hands. I iron his shirts myself and even give him his medicines. He just cannot survive without me”

“Well thanks fro the advice aunty”
“Yes you are like my daughter I wish you had come to me before all this I would have guided you in right direction. After all of I have two daughters of my own and both happily married”

“NEXT TIME AUNTY I WILL SERVE MY HUSBAND PROPERLY AND SAVE MY MARRIAGE AT ALL COSTS”


The Cynical Colleague
“HaniaSo good to see you. How are you doing?
“I’m fine thankyouJabbir. What’s the update on our project report”.
“Listen don’t mind but I’m quite relieved you finally left that creep..”
“Sorry what did you say….”
“I said its good that you left Kashif he really wasn’t good enough for you”

“Acha really . Anyhow you don’t have to say all this I’m ok.”
“No no I really mean it. Many at the office were shocked when you decided to marry him. I mean I shouldn’t say so but even looks wise he was not….”
“Excuse me Jabbir, really this is not making me feel any better and I don’t think its right to comment on peoples appearances”
“Array looks tou I mentioned waisay hee there is more to it. We never told you but everyone here thought he was really rude and obnoxious. In fact there are many stories of his anger issues floating in the market. Is it true? “
“Well,  I really don’t want to wash any dirty linen in public he was my ex husband and there is a certain respect attached to that which I would want to maintain
“You are so nice Hania. He didn’t deserve you. Ok forget everything but you know Nadia in Acountssection who is a relative of your ex in-laws?”
“Yes what about Nadia?”
“She once told us that Kashif was notorious in the family for  habitually flirting  with many of his cousins including Nadia herself…..”
“Really, this was before our marriage or after?”
“Errrrrr…not sure but both I guess…he looked it now that I think about it…total bastard…”
“Acha I never realized that”
“I am seriously shocked how could such a smart and educated girl like you make such a stupid decision for the biggest thing in your life
“I suppose I’m not all that smart right? After all I could never see all of this earlier. Guess shouldn’t rely on my own judgment of people ever again in my life. Basically I JUST DON’T TRUST MYSELF ANYMORE”.

Understandably a person going through the trauma of divorce goes through a whole plethora of emotions. There is anger and disappointment perhaps a sense of failure and the fear of being alone. There may also be regret and self doubt. While its too long and broad a discussion as to what should be the right way to deal with the people involved in a divorce, one can at least pinpoint the things that must be avoided at all costs. To begin with don’t over discuss and over analyze the divorce. Don’t try too hard to cheer the person up and don’t condemn the person be it man or woman for this failure. Last but not the least constant and unnecessary criticism of the ex spouse is always a bad idea. Even if it is encouraged by the person in front of us or appears to momentarily make them happy its essentially against basic etiquette. More importantly negativity is bound to breed negativity and increase the mental baggage of the person already suffering without helping them deal with the situation in any constructive manner.

By Samreen Awan





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An infidel woman: The scandalous “pink nighty” in ‘Meray paas tum ho’.

Two days back I woke up to see social media upset and demanding PEMRA to ban a play called “M erey paas tum ho ”. The lead actress was trolled for choosing the worst role of her life and much up-roar was made about a “ scandalous pink nighty ” in one of the episodes. Since I had not watched the play I rushed to YouTube to see what the hangaama was about. To my surprise the play had a typical storyline of a middle class government employee Danish (Humanyon Saeed)   with a pretty wife Mehwish (played by Aieza Khan) and a kid, struggling to make ends meet because he is naïve and honest. His wife on the other hand dreams of a better lifestyle with luxuries. A lovable family sets the picture perfect scene of the first episode, till the entry of a rich business man Shahwar played by none other than Adnan Siddiuqi. Shahwar spots Mehwish among common friends and finds her attractive and starts giving her compliments on her beauty, the over possessive husband finds the sitaution

Finally a happy ending for Pyare Afzal

For the past few days the social media is buzzing with the wedding news of Hamza Ali Abbasi of fame Pyare Afzal. Hamza started his career with TV and after doing a few projects moved to the big screen, he is not only famous for the work he did on screen but his claim to fame is from his extremely vocal socio-political and religious views especially on social media, he is seldom politically correct and gets a lot of bashing for his opinions. This week he was again in the news for posts about his wedding announcement to Naimal Khawaar. His long post about “Platonic Relationships” has been the topic  of the grape wine. His definition of Halal relationship was a bit bizarre and was so not needed in the wedding announcement.   Many bashed him for being self righteous or holier than thou. Some called it a publicity stunt, which often the people in the media are accused off.     On August 25 th  2019, the social media was again highlighting his beautiful wedding ceremony; the s

‘The spirit of a WOMAN’

On Sunday, my OCD kicked in and I decided to clean the house. To make cleaning a bit interesting I selected some old classics of Nayyara Noor. I played my favorite song Kabhi Hum bhie khoobsurat theye … … and held on to the magic mop with dear life. Nayyara’s with her soul searching voice sang the beautiful lyrics written by Ahmed Shamim, I could not help ponder upon the simplicity of emotions and the deep sadness  embedded    in the lyrics of this song. I have listen to it a 100 times before, but somehow with age, the meaning of many things have changed so drastically that even I am surprised myself. The song talks about the beauty of emotions more than the physicality of the beauty itself, it emphasizes on the spirit and the joy found in that jubilant spirit. Somehow beauty and age is such an important thing for women, I am not sure if it is a big issue for men also, as their age or beauty is never discussed. But for women it’s a stark reality, we often have t